It's become common over the past several months for Disney to announce new additions coming to Downtown Disney district. Ultimately the area is being renovated to update the look and feel of the promenade and prepare for the addition of the new eastern gateway project. Including some new announcements today, here is what has and will be changing in Downtown Disney in 2018 alone.
The Disneyland Resort is actively transforming Downtown Disney from the late-90s into the 21st century with many new experiences and restaurants joining the district in just a few short months. The result is a completely new area focusing on "family friendly shopping, dining, and entertainment" that better complements the other construction projects Disney has on the docket. Here are the new additions including approximate locations and completion dates:
- STAR WARS: SECRETS OF THE EMPIRE - A multi-sensory, immersive virtual reality experience that takes you into the Star Wars universe (and an untold chapter in the official canon) by The VOID is now open! You can find it near the Disney Dream Boutique.
- WORLD OF DISNEY - The World of Disney store is the largest retail location in the entire resort. Renovations will be starting very soon and be completed in stages throughout 2018.
- DISNEY HOME STORE - Decorate your kitchen or living spaces like the Disney fan you are with great Disney themed collections from the Disney Home Store set to open in February in the space formerly occupied by D-Street next to The VOID.
- SPLITSVILLE LUXURY LANES - The high-end bowling experience, complete with gourmet-inspired food and beverage, will be a new must-do experience starting 29 January. You can find it where the House of Blues once stood by Tortilla Jo's and Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen.
- NAPLES RISTORANTE E PIZZERIA - This pizzeria has been part of Downtown Disney since the beginning, but new renovations will expand the courtyard, add an outside bar, and add new wood-burning ovens. The whole thing is expected to be complete by fall 2018.
- BLACK TAP CRAFT BURGERS & BEER - This popular chain will open its first ever California location with its signature beers and milkshakes. It's set to open across from the Catal Restaurant and Uva Bar later this year.
- BALLAST POINT - Disney's latest announcement adds Ballast Point, a San Diego-based brewery, to the ranks of Downtown Disney. The new restaurant will feature craft beers and a Southern California menu. It will include the first ever on-site brewery and beer garden in the district and be located (also) across from the Catal Restaurant and Uva Bar. Construction is scheduled to begin soon and will be finished later this year.
It's clear that Downtown Disney is changing fast and it will all be for the better. The district has been largely untouched since it opened in 2000 so these new additions will breathe fresh new life into the whole resort. This does mean that construction is going to be a common theme throughout 2018 but it will be worth it.