Though the details are not extensive, Disney Parks has started announcing what to expect this holiday season at the Disneyland Resort. This means the return of some old favourites, a few that haven't been seen in a while, plus some brand new additions to bring a new flare to the tried-and-true Disneyland holiday traditions.
Disney California Adventure
- FESTIVAL OF HOLIDAYS - This new offering boasts that guests will be immersed in cultural sounds as well as globally inspired food and beverages in 14 themed marketplaces throughout the park.
- DISNEY VIVA NAVIDAD! - This Latin-American holiday celebration will be returning as usual to celebrate the influences of these cultures through southern California.
- SANTA CLAUS - Santa will be welcoming children young and old this year at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.
- PRINCESS ELENA OF AVALOR - The newest Disney princess is actually from a Disney Junior TV series and will be making her California parks debut at DCA for the holiday season inside the Festival of Holidays. She will, however, remain in the park after the holidays have ended.
- WORLD OF COLOR - SEASON OF LIGHT - The biggest and most exciting addition is the newest version of the popular World of Color show in Paradise Bay. This version says it will "take guests on a sparkling winter fantasy, combining classic holiday songs with memorable moments from treasured Disney animated films to create an experience filled with magic". As much as I love Frozen, I am looking forward to a holiday World of Color which doesn't get half its content from a single film (I'm looking at you, Winter Dreams).
- SLEEPING BEAUTY CASTLE - The castle will once more be adorned with ice and snow for the season.
- HOLIDAY ATTRACTIONS - Haunted Mansion Holiday is already up and running for the Halloween season and will continue as usual through the holidays, joined by "it's a small world" Holiday and the ever-popular Jingle Cruise.
- SANTA . . . SOMETIMES - Santa will normally be in DCA, but occasionally he will visit Disneyland Park where guests can find him in Critter Country.
- "A CHRISTMAS FANTASY" - Last year this crowd favourite holiday parade took a hiatus while guests enjoyed Paint the Night, but this year it will be returning as the daytime parade.
- "BELIEVE . . . IN HOLIDAY MAGIC" - Around since 2005, this is the crowning jewel of Disneyland's holiday entertainment as the skies above Sleeping Beauty Castle are filled with fireworks and nightly snowfall!
UPDATE: PAINT THE NIGHT - The amazing Paint the Night nighttime spectacular will be returning on select nights through the holiday season. Currently it's scheduled for the following dates and times, but we'll continue updating as more are added (last updated 6 December 2016):
- 18 - 27 November (6.30 & 10.30p)
- 2 December (6.30 & 10.30p)
- 3 - 4 December (10.45p)
- 9 December (6.30 & 10.30p)
- 10 December (9 & 11p)
- 16 December (6.30 & 10.30p)
- 17 - 18 December (9 & 11p)
- 19 - 30 December (6.30 & 10.30p)
- 31 December (6.15p)
- 1 - 5 January (6.30 & 10.30p)
- 6 - 7 January (9 & 11p)
- 8 January (6.30 & 10.30p)
The holiday season at the Disneyland Resort will kick-off on 10 November and continue through 8 January 2017. We'll keep you posted as more details are released, but in the meantime start your planning before everyone else does! What are you most excited to see?