If you've ever travelled with kids you know that, even at Disneyland, they eventually need some time and space to run around and get some of their pent-up energy out. Some parents decide it's a good idea to let their kids loose in line or in tight corners of the park, but Disney has places already set up for just such occasions! Next time you're on vacation and your kids want to be crazy for a while, take them to one of these places instead.
- GOOFY'S PLAYHOUSE - Right off the entrance to Mickey's Toontown is Goofy's Playhouse where kids can roam through Goofy's zany house and laugh at a lot of clever puns. There are seats for parents just outside so you can keep an eye on them while they run and jump around.
- DOWNTOWN TOONTOWN - The center of Mickey's Toontown features a lot of interactive adventures for kids or adults who think like kids. You can wander through the Toontown gym, post office, pound or even try to visit the electric company. You'll still need to follow your kids around to keep an eye on them, but this will keep them entertained and occupied for a while.
- TOM SAWYER ISLAND - Perhaps the best place in the park for kids to run around is Tom Sawyer Island in the middle of the Rivers of America. There's lots of room to run and play, some fun little activities, lots of climbing and kid-sized tunnels, plus great views for the parents to enjoy. Get to Tom Sawyer Island via a raft between New Orleans Square and Critter Country. The sad news is that Tom Sawyer Island will remain closed through 2016 while they work on Star Wars Land. Check it out next year!
Disney California Adventure
- PRINCESS DOT'S PUDDLE PARK - Right in the center of "a bug's land" is a giant hose and sprinklers left on for little bugs to run through. Not only is this a good place for kids to play with plenty of places for parents to sit and observe, it's fantastic for cooling off on a hot California summer day!
- REDWOOD CREEK CHALLENGE TRAIL - Across from Grizzly River Run is the often overlooked Challenge Trail where guests can climb through ropes course-style obstacles and have a lot of fun surrounded by majestic greenery. Parents do not have to participate if they don't want to, but the best part is that there is a wide variety of activities for kids anywhere from 8 - adult so if you have some teens with you as well they can also be entertained. This place is a gem!