The replacement for the popular FastPass service has arrived and now that guests have had the chance to really see how it works for them, the reviews are admittedly mixed. However, it can be a powerful tool to help you get more done in the parks. Here's what you need to know about how it works and what it may cost you so you can decide if it's right for you.
What is Genie+?
Similar to the old FastPass service, Genie+ allows guests to bypass the stand-by line in select attractions in the newly rebranded Lightning Lane with a minimal wait. It also includes unlimited PhotoPass downloads for on-ride pictures and photos taken by PhotoPass photographers.
How Does Genie+ Work?
Once you purchased your Genie+ service, it's not very difficult to get started:
- FIND AVAILABLE LIGHTNING LANES - Through the Disney Genie portal in the Disneyland app you can easily see what Lightning Lane return times are available. These times give you a specific return window where you are allowed to enter the Lightning Lane and bypass the stand-by line. Click on either "Book a Lightning Lane" or scroll through attraction wait times until you see a time you're interested in, click on it and confirm your selection. When it confirms your time, you're set!
- WAIT FOR YOUR RETURN WINDOW - Lightning Lane passes are only good for the listed return window. Early and late arrivals are not accommodated (though they do offer a grace period up to 5 minutes early and 15 minutes late).
- HAVE YOUR TICKETS READY - In order to enter the Lightning Lane, each guest has to scan their ticket at the entrance. You can use your physical tickets, if you have them, or it's easier to click on "Redeem Now" under your Lightning Lane selection in the Disneyland app. That will pop up a screen with your ticket bar code ready to go with less hassle. Plus, if you have your party's tickets linked into your Disney account, you can access everyone's passes from one device!
- SCAN YOUR TICKETS - Scan for entry to the Lightning Lane. Remember there are multiple scanners at each attraction so utilize all of them to keep the line moving faster.
- ENJOY THE RIDE! - Once in the Lightning Lane, you will be able to enjoy a minimal wait to get on the ride and go on with your day faster!
Are There Limitations to Lightning Lane Passes?
In general, you can only use one Lightning Lane pass per attraction per day. There is an exception for any "multiple experience" pass you may use (usually given when an attraction you had chosen is closed during your return window), but typically you'll only be able to use it once per ride.
You cannot hold too many passes at once. When you've made a Lightning Lane selection, you cannot make your next selection until you have either used the first one or waited a minimum of 2 hours.
What Attractions Offer Lightning Lane?
The following attractions currently offer Lightning Lane included with Genie+:
DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
- Autopia | Tomorrowland
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad | Frontierland
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters | Tomorrowland
- Haunted Mansion | New Orleans Square
- Indiana Jones Adventure | Adventureland
- "it's a small world" | Fantasyland
- Matterhorn Bobsleds | Fantasyland
- Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin | Mickey's Toontown
- Smuggler's Run | Galaxy's Edge
- Space Mountain | Tomorrowland
- Splash Mountain | Critter Country
- Star Tours - The Adventures Continue | Tomorrowland
DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
- Goofy's Sky School | Paradise Gardens Park
- Grizzly River Run | Grizzly Peak
- Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! | Avengers Campus
- Incredicoaster | Pixar Pier
- Monsters, Inc.: Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! | Hollywood Land
- Soarin' | Grizzly Peak
- Toy Story Midway Mania | Pixar Pier
| || |
What are Individual Lightning Lanes?
Technically, Lightning Lanes are also offered on several other attractions, but they are not included with Genie+. These premium high-demand attractions can be accessed through Lightning Lane for an extra cost per person which changes from day to day depending on the crowd level and demand. Currently those attractions are:
am I Locked into One Park with Genie+?
If you have a Park Hopper ticket, no! Admission to both parks on the same day allows you more use of your Genie+ since you can make Lightning Lane selections for either park. You are only limited to a single park if you have a 1 Park-Per-Day ticket.
How Much Does Genie+ Cost?
Currently, Genie+ costs $20/person for each day you use it. You can add Genie+ as soon as you enter the parks for the day and immediately begin making selections for Lightning Lane or linking photos to your account. Keep in mind that every person in your group must have Genie+ in order to use the Lightning Lane - you can't purchase it for one person and admit everyone into the Lightning Lane. This means that a family of 4 will be paying $80/day for Genie+. However, it's not necessary to purchase the service for every day of your trip if you don't want to which can save you a lot of money.