Having just returned from a Disney vacation, I am reminded how often guests ignore the instructions given at the beginning of every attraction which interferes with the experiences of others. I know it may seem like a lot of information all at once, but those instructions ensure your safety and your enjoyment of each attraction so it's important to remember why they ask these things of you - it's not just because they can!
- NO FLASH PICTURES OR EXTERNAL VIDEO LIGHTING - This is one of my biggest pet peeves at any Disney park. I suppose guests think CMs are just being controlling and don't want them to take pictures and so they take them anyway to be "rebellious". The thing is, though, they never say "No pictures," they say "No flash pictures". In theatrical shows or parades, flash pictures and video lighting can distract or disorient performers so you should refrain as a simple courtesy to them. On a ride, a flash will ruin your photos. Much of the amazing atmosphere you see is made by theatre lighting which a flash will cancel out. You may think a flash will help you look cute in front of that pirate but it will make the whole scene look wrong. Take all the photos and videos you want, just make sure your flash is turned off and they will turn out better and you won't annoy everyone else on the ride in the meantime.
- YELLOW SAFETY TABS - If you ever board a ride, buckle your seatbelt and find a yellow tab attached to the belt, be aware that a CM will be asking you to pull on the yellow safety tab to ensure the belt is locked in place. To keep the attraction moving and avoid annoying everyone else in the vehicle (and the CM), be prepared to pull the tab when instructed. It's amazing how often this doesn't happen.
- KEEP YOUR HANDS, ARMS & LEGS INSIDE - Mostly this is for safety so that a lower-hanging support doesn't snap your arm in two, but it also ensures that ignorant guests do not disturb and destroy the intricate scenes Disney Imagineers have created. Keep your arms in, it's not that hard.
- SUPERVISE YOUR CHILDREN - Yes, you're on vacation. Yes, your kids are here to have fun. That does not mean that you now have no responsibility over your children's actions. They may be having fun, but is it fair if it's interfering with other families' vacations? Just keep an eye on them and make sure they're also following the rules.
- NO SMOKING - Smoking is not permitted in any Disney theme park except in designated areas. This is for the safety and enjoyment of all the other guests at the park. You never know when someone around you may have acute asthma and can't handle having smoke or vapour blown in their face. This rule applies to e-cigarettes and vaporisers as well.
- SELFIE STICKS - They're not even allowed in the parks. Don't bring them. They're annoying. That is all.
This is just a handful of the instructions you may hear at the park. Please ensure you follow them so that everyone can have a magical day and remain safe. Did I miss anything?