What do the Matterhorn, the Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones, and Pirates of the Caribbean all have in common? Each line eventually splits off into two different lines, sometimes even two completely different experiences and if you're an uninformed visitor you may not even notice. Officially my stance is that both lines are equally good, but here's the secret: they're not! Here are the best lines to join when you get the choice. UPDATED 4 Aug 2018
- AUTOPIA - The line divides just before you get to the loading platforms. If the line is short enough where you get a choice in the matter, choose the right side. From the dividing point to the platform it's the shorter line so you'll get into your car quicker!
- MATTERHORN BOBSLEDS - In this instance, the two lines are actually for two different tracks altogether affectionately known as the Fantasyland and Tomorrowland tracks (Get it? Based on which land the line is closest to.). If you want a faster ride with tighter turns and more drops, take the Tomorrowland side. Most CMs will let you choose which side you prefer if you ask.
- JUNGLE CRUISE - The line splits when you either reach the top of the stairs or the final turn to the loading dock, whichever happens to come first. Take the left side. That side is closer to the loading dock and, since that lines loads from the rear of the boat, guests tend to have an easier time stepping inside and board faster than the right side resulting in more guests boarding from the left per boat. If that's too much math, just take the left.
- INDIANA JONES ADVENTURE - When you reach the stairs just before the loading platform, it's tempting to take the left since it's technically the shorter line, but most of the time the right side loads faster. This is because all riders transferring from wheelchairs load on the left since that side does not involve steps at the exit and it's closer to the elevator.
- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN - Right now the line pattern is in a state of flux while CMs experiment with new configurations to accommodate the upcoming FastPass Return line. For now, the two sides are about the same length, but sometimes the right side is a little shorter.
- DISNEYLAND PARK ENTRANCE - Did you know some lines into the park move faster than others? Look near the gates for lines that need to wrap around trees. Usually those lines split into two since one gate will be obscured behind the tree and thereby move faster than the surrounding lines. Trust me! I do it every time I can and it works!
Before you say anything, yes, there are multiple lines on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Soarin', Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! and the Incredicoaster, but the difference is either negligible or you have no control since CMs will direct you where you are going and generally don't let you pick. The ones I've listed, though, can save you as much as 5 minutes or more in line and make you feel cool since you knew something others didn't! Give it a try and you'll see what I mean!